Anti-Virus, What I think of the idea.


Hey there fellow geeks :

Today, I will be telling you about my story with Anti-Virus software, and why I opted not to have any installed on my system.

Yeah, I feel I must explain the situation, simply because I get asked a lot, about it, and get the worry face when I say I don't have any installed.



Ok, the beginning...

My story with AntiVirus software began in the early 2000s. I got a PC as a gift, it had Windows 98 SE on it with McAfee AntiVirus software. I didn't know what it was until I did some research.



Once I understood what it was, I left it on my system to do its work. After a while, I started to notice my system getting slower, lagging all over the place. At first I began to suspect that I had a virus on the system. So as per instructions, I launched McAfee and initiated a system wide scan. +



After around an hour (Yeah I had a lot of files), I got the confirmation that I had a TrojanHorse virus sitting in my System32 folder. It was successfully cleaned and system was rebooted.

Once that was done, I began using my system as usual, but the lag was still there. So, me being me, I decided to format my system and do a fresh install. I did that. And began installing my software and games. I completely skipped the AntiVirus, McAfee in this case.

The system was fast and responsive. I left it that way for 6 months. Then, I decided to go ahead and re-install McAfee and do a system wide scan to see if I had been infected after such a long time living with no AntiVirus.

As soon as I installed it, before even doing a scan, my system began to lag yet again. I asked our friend Google, and my suspicions were confirmed. A lot of users were having issues with AntiVirus software killing their system performance.

And to be sure I un-installed McAfee and tried many others, like Eset, Nod32, Kaspersky, Norton etc... Kept giving AntiVirus software chances throughout the years, Same result.

So, that's when I have decided never to install AntiVirus Software on my system ever again. And have been a happy camper ever since.


Still confused ? Well don't be.

Did you read carefully ? If you did you would have noticed that I said I would never "Install" AntiVirus Software on my system. Now we all know that there are "Portable" versions out there, that don't require us to install them. There are even online Virus Scan services that help scan your system without having to install anything which would hinder your system's performance.

Still we all have exercise caution as well, simply because there some "Fake" services out there that do nothing but give you false hope.



Since my journey began with McAfee, I decided to give their portable version, called Stinger, a go, and so far it has worked flawlessly for me, without my system performance getting hit.



I also use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware portable version, to scan for Phishing sites and Malware. So far am a happy user. Never had any issues with Viruses or Malware for years.

I hope this helped shed some light as to my situation with AntiVirus software ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment