Mahdi ROM review for the Nexus 5


Hey fellow flashaholics !

Today, I am going to talk a bout one of my favorite ROMs for the Nexus 5. MahdiROM. I owe a huge thanks to my very good friend from the iOS days @Insanelyi whom I never thought in my wildest dreams would ever own an Android let alone a Nexus 5 !


Anyway, since I couldn't find nor make a video review of it, I decided to do a written one. Hope to make a video soon, since this ROM deserves it ;)

In this review, I will cover a few essential parts, not everything else this post will be way too long... And we all hate lengthy posts. So without further delay, here we go.

--------------------------------------


1- The Features :

Features wise, this ROM is packed to the guilds with some of the most useful ones out there, hand-picked by Mahdi, the developer of this ROM himself, from different ROMs available for different devices. Now, I dunno which features were coded by him, if any.

Anyway, the most essential feature to me, has to be, the fully customizable Navbar. I can add up to 5 dual action buttons, one on click, another on long press. That's a total of 10 actions, with optional menu too !

Another great feature is the App Sidebar. Allows me to add apps to a sidebar that I can summon when I use a set gesture. Reminds me a bit of Ubuntu Linux hehe ;)

There are way too many features to talk about here. You should try the ROM yourselves to discover them all. 


Video by +Damir Franc 





2- The Performance :

Now, time to talk Performance... Let me begin by saying, that the Nexus 5 is by far the fastest and smoothest Android device I have ever had. By far eats the competition for breakfast.

And with this ROM, it becomes much better. I dunno, but I did notice a significant smoothness boost. As for speed, it depends on your setup. But with the Kernel that this ROM uses, everything is lag and micro stutter free. Finally ! All that is required is a little knowledge about Kernels and how to tweak them with Trickster MOD.

Anyway, this ROM is fast, smooth, and lag free. Huge win !!!!





3- Battery Life :

Now I know that some of you reading this, are anxious to know about battery life with this ROM. So I will tell you, just sit tight, coz this might be a little bit confusing.

Let me begin with my experience, battery life wise, when I first got the phone. Just to use as comparison. Or basis.

When I first got the device on December 22nd, a week ago, I decided to use it as is for 48 hours, until Christmas eve. And let me just say, battery life was a disaster ! 1 hour 58 of screen on time, with 6 hours overall ! Talk about major fail !

Now, with MahdiROM, at first I struggled to get more than 2 hours, but I noticed that I had forgotten to set Location services to Battery Saving mode. Once that was done, battery life started to get better as time went by. And 3 days later I managed to get, with no change in my usage, almost 4 hours, which is almost DOUBLE what I used to get on stock xD

Now, as ROM is being updated, as well as Kernel, Battery life keeps fluctuating, between 3h 40 mins and 5 hours of screen on time, but never below that... Which is an amazing step in the right direction.

Lastly, I would like to say that the overall time am getting is between 15 hour and 28 depends how I use the phone. But it's good... At leas for me ;)

----------------------------------------------------------

4- Conclusion :

Overall, this ROM is by far one of the best I have ever used. It has all them features I have gotten used to on my Nexus 4, no useless ones. Even has full Xposed support. Very well balanced between, Features, Battery Life n Performance.

I highly recommend you try it out. Click button below to beam to the ROM thread on XDA...






2 comments:

Is there any option to reboot in recovery mode directly?
I could not find one, if there is, please help me find it.

May 12, 2014 at 6:27 PM comment-delete

What version you on ? Latest is 09-05-14.. Just go to Developer options and enable Advanced Reboot !

May 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM comment-delete

Post a Comment